Dean – The School of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences
DIVISION: The School of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences
RESPONSIBILITIES: Westchester Community College is more than just Westchester County’s largest educational institution. It is a living, breathing part of Westchester that goes beyond the influence of a typical college and affects the lives of all who enter its doors. Westchester Community College was founded in 1946 as the New York State Institute of Applied Arts and Sciences in White Plains. In 1957, the County of Westchester bought the 360-acre John Hartford estate in Valhalla and designated 218 acres for the community college. There are approximately 13,000 full- and part-time college credit students. Continuing education students bring the total number served by the college each semester to more than 24,000.
Reporting to the Chief Academic Officer, the Dean will serve as the administrative head of The School of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences. The School of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences is comprised of forty-five (45) salaried faculty members and houses ten (10) departments (English, ESL, Reading/Writing/Study Skills, Art, Communication & Media Arts, Modern Languages, Performing Arts, Theatre, Political Science, and History).
The Dean will plan and develop the instructional objectives for the division. S/he will also lead department chairs, curriculum chairs, and faculty in the development, implementation and evaluation of new and existing curricula. Responsibilities include:
- Serving on the Academic Leadership Council and other appropriate college committees;
- Monitoring compliance with the collective bargaining agreements;
- Functioning as the first line administrator with faculty and staff in planning, developing, implementing and evaluating curricular activities and services of the division;
- Providing leadership and vision in the expansion and development of academic programs to ensure continual growth of the unit;
- Monitoring and overseeing the development of articulation agreements between divisional programs and appropriate 4 year institutions;
- Overseeing the administration of all grants in the division, including Perkins, GAP, Job-linkage, and others; responsible for the adherence to the grant/proposal outcomes;
- Analyzing the effectiveness of course scheduling, teaching and learning to support student success in divisional courses and programs, and recommends changes, as needed;
- Evaluating the performance of full time faculty in preparation for reappointment, tenure and promotion as well as engaging in classroom observations;
- Supervising staff in support positions within the division, evaluating staff performance, and counseling staff, as appropriate;
- Hiring, supervising, and evaluating adjunct faculty;
- Performing additional tasks or duties as assigned by the chief academic officer.
QUALIFICATIONS: The successful candidate must possess a Ph.D., Ed. D. A minimum of seven years of experience in the planning and development of academic programs, personnel administration, or human development, including three years in an administrative supervisory position required. Associate Dean and/or Executive director level experience required. Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills are also required.
POSITION EFFECTIVE: Recruitment will remain open until the position is filled.
SALARY & BENEFITS: The salary is commensurate with experience plus excellent benefits.
Click here to apply for Administrative and Staff positions online.
TO APPLY: Please apply online at: www.sunywcc.edu or email your cover letter, resume, and three letters of recommendation to: firstname.lastname@example.org; Please indicate “Dean of the School of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences” in the subject line of the email or mail to:
Director, Human Resources
Westchester Community College
Administration Building – Suite B42
75 Grasslands Road
Valhalla, NY 10595
Fax: (914) 606-7838
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Westchester Community College provides accessible, high quality and affordable education to meet the needs of our diverse community. We are committed to student success, academic excellence, workforce development, economic development and lifelong learning. Westchester Community College is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action employer.