Assistant Director for Clubs & Organizations
Faculty Student Association of Westchester Community College
Office of Student Involvement
The Department of Student Involvement is committed to providing comprehensive and meaningful education experiences for students in the co-curriculum. Through the creation of intentional learning environments, the Department of Student Involvement helps students acquire leadership and other transferable skills that can be utilized throughout their academic and professional careers.
Under the general supervision of the Director of Student Involvement, the Assistant Director for Clubs & Organizations will be responsible for providing support for all recognized student clubs in the areas of event planning, group management, and skill development for student leaders. This may include the collection of records, coordinating travel requests, facilitating training meetings or one-on-one meetings, etc. Some nights and weekends may be required.
In addition to supporting general club needs, the Assistant Director for Clubs & Organizations will be responsible for co-advising members of the Westchester Events Board, Student Government Association, and Viking Newspaper.
- Bachelor’s Degree required, Master’s Degree preferred
- Two years of experience in student activities.
(Satisfactory completion of 30 credits towards a Master’s Degree in higher education and/or student affairs may be substituted for each year of required experience.)
- Experience working with student clubs/organizations, preferably at community colleges.
- Experience with event planning, preferably at community colleges or other higher education institutions.
- Experience working with student media clubs, preferably with college newspapers.
- Working knowledge of student development theory and experience advising and training student organizations.
- Good time management and communication skills (both written and oral).
- Ability to work in a team environment and amongst diverse groups.
- Have a positive and motivated attitude.
- Coordinate the club registration process, including: collecting and storing completed club registrations, confirming eligibility of club officers, communicating to club’s if they are missing information, and maintaining an accurate and updated list of registered clubs/organizations.
- Plan, coordinate, and execute club officer training and development initiatives that educate student leaders on essential skills, knowledge, resources, and requirements. Initiatives include, but are not limited to: policy & procedure training for clubs and advisors (fall and spring semesters), Title IX/Sexual Assault training (fall and spring semesters), Club Development Day (winter recess), and Tier 1 Student Organization Officer Training Retreat (summer).
- Serve as event planning resource to club/organizations to ensure groups have understanding of requirements, resources, and approvals necessary to execute on-campus events; may include individual meetings with officers.
- Create and distribute the monthly Club Bulletin to club officers and advisors, notifying them of upcoming deadlines, requirements, events, resources, campus happenings, etc.
- Coordinate the event approval process by reviewing event registration forms, filing approved events and notifying appropriate student leaders and campus departments of approved events.
- Coordinate the use and maintenance of the Student Involvement fleet of vehicles for student travel.
- Co-advise the Student Government Association, specifically the Vice President, Secretary, Club Council and Club Affairs Committee.
- Co-advise the College’s Westchester Events Board, including but not limited to the: Executive Board and Campus Programmers.
- Co-Advise The Viking Newspaper, including but not limited to the: Editorial Board, Business Team, and Staff Writers.
- Co-coordinate and facilitate workshops with the Viking News Faculty Consultant to teach student staff the knowledge and skillsets necessary to be effective as both journalists and leaders of a student organization.
- Coordinate the recruitment and selection process for the Viking Newspaper.
- Assists with the planning, execution and assessment of department sponsored programs/events.
- Serve as department representative at student events as assigned by the Director.
- Support departmental operations/initiatives, including, but not limited to: event attendance, office duties, etc.
- Attend Student Involvement department meetings as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
TO APPLY: Email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
ANTICIPATED POSITION EFFECTIVE: August 2018.
SALARY & BENEFITS: The starting salary is $61,979 plus excellent benefits.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: Priority will be given to applications received by July 6, 2018. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.