Counselor of Viking ROADS
The following position requires familiarity with the community college philosophy and the ability to work within a culturally diverse college population.
Date: December 1, 2017
TITLE OF POSITION/RANK: Counselor of Viking ROADS
DEPARTMENT/DIVISION: Viking ROADS/SAIS
RESPONSIBILITIES: Viking ROADS is a comprehensive program designed to help students earn their Associate’s degree as quickly as possible through provisions of comprehensive academic, advisement, career support services for eligible students at SUNY community colleges. Reporting to the Vice President for Student Access, Involvement and Success, the Counselor of Viking ROADS manages the operations and resources so that students can obtain an Associate’s degree successfully. The incumbent is responsible for the following activities:
- Develops and monitors a comprehensive program of academic, advisement, career counseling and other support and financial aid services for a designated cohort of Viking ROADS students;
- Develops and implements strategies to improve retention and performance of students in collaboration with Viking ROADS advisors;
- Implements academic interventions and other initiatives to improve students’ performance and retention;
- Evaluates program services and develops interventions for probation and at-risk students; makes recommendations to improve program offerings;
- Oversees the program’s budget and daily administration, including scheduling and timely delivery of services;
- Establishes and maintains relationships with academic departments, including scheduling of Viking ROADS classes;
- Oversees recruitment of new students, including coordination with other college offices;
- Prepares reports for the Vice President of Student Access, Involvement and Success, college leadership and grant administrator;
- Supervises dedicated Viking ROADS advisors;
- Collects and analyzes data that tracks student’s progress and helps ascertain student needs.
- All other duties, as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS: A Bachelor’s Degree in Guidance, Psychology, Sociology, or a closely related field and three years of experience in the fields of admissions or guidance counseling is required. A Masters’ degree and five years of experience in a higher education setting is strongly preferred. Outstanding communication skills (oral, writing and inter-personal) is required. Strong computer skills (Word and Excel) is also required. S/he must possess strong fiscal management skills, familiarity with fiscal requirements, budgets of sponsored projects, and an understanding of the organization of public higher education systems. S/he must also possess familiarity with issues faced by community college students.
SALARY & BENEFITS: The starting salary is $57,415 plus excellent benefits.
TO APPLY: Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States at the time of hire. You may upload your documents by clicking “here.” Please send a resume, cover letter and three letters of recommendation to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate “Counselor of Viking ROADS” in the subject line of the email or mail to:
Director, Human Resources
Westchester Community College
HR Department, Administration Building- Suite B42
75 Grasslands Road
Valhalla, NY 10595
Fax: (914) 606-7838
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Priority will be given to applications received by January 12, 2018.
Westchester Community College provides accessible, high quality and affordable education to meet the needs of our diverse community. We are committed to student success, academic excellence and lifelong learning.